My boys got bubble wands the other day. After filling our backyard with bubbles and giggles, we soon ran out of mixture. Uh-oh.
Now, if your little one is also obsessed with bubbles too, then you’ll understand their feels.
Thankfully bubble mixture is something you can easily make at home, but you will need one special ingredient if you want to make your bubbles big and floaty like the ones you can make from the bubble mix you buy at the shops.
You’ll need glycerine!
Glycerine (sometimes spelt ‘glycerin’ but the same thing really) is the secret ingredient you need to make excellent homemade bubble mixture. You can sometimes buy it from big supermarkets in the first-aid section (have a poke around between the calamine lotion and antiseptic creams) and chemists also stock it.
- 2 cups concentrated dishwashing liquid
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 cup of glycerine
Plus, an empty (and clean!) 2 litre milk bottle to hold the mixture
- Pour water, dishwashing liquid and glycerine into milk bottle.
2. Put the lid on the bottle and give it a good shake.
3. Leave mixture to settle. Once settled, either pour it into a small empty bubble bottle or gently pour it onto a tray for your little one to dip a wand into.
Note: I found this mixture worked better with a smaller wand rather than a big one. I just made a big wand we had smaller by putting a rubber band on it.
4. Enjoy the magic that is bubbles!